Wednesday, November 23, 2011

PHONE CALLS

Recently, I was sick. Sometimes too exhausted to talk even to my dearest friends and relatives. But they kept calling. Their calls were encouraging and full of love. I felt blessed and I always felt happier and more energetic after talking to them.

Now consider the battered woman. If her partner allows her to have a phone, it must be used very carefully and mostly when he is not around. Even phone calls are on the danger list. They are checked, as is any computer use. Sites for victims of battering have quick exit buttons in case the batterer shows up when she is seeking information or help.

It is a tortured way of life, constantly looking over your shoulder. Monitoring any behavior that might set him off.

It is a way so heinous I pray for its victims every day. I pray for their freedom from fear.

No comments: