Saturday, October 22, 2011

HER SMILE IS GONE

A while ago I wrote about a little girl at the shelter who finally started smiling and talking in group after a long period of solemn silence.

Last week, she was solemn again. Not smiling, not talking, not happy.

And then I remembered this had happened with her twice before when the days shortened and school started--the same thing, three Octobers in a row! Some people respond to a lack of sunlight with sadness. I wondered if she was one of those.

Maybe there isn't a big change at home. Maybe she's doing okay in school.
Maybe she just needs to sit in front of a fluorescent light bar in the a.m. and p.m. for a while.

Take a vacation, Freud. Some mood changes aren't caused by bad experiences. I hope that's the case here. We'll let her mother know and hope she can take it from here.

I want to see that pretty smile again.
'

No comments: